Growing People has been running at the Letchworth Centre for Healthy Living since October 2006. As the project has developed, the decision was taken to register as a charitable company in 2012.
Our charitable objects at Growing People are:
- to assist in the treatment and care of persons dealing with mental or physical illness of any description or in need of rehabilitation as a result of such illness.
- to promote social inclusion but not exclusively of people with mental health issues or people who are recovering from an illness. Our aim is to prevent them from becoming socially excluded.
- by the provision of facilities for work experience and vocational skills training to reinforce their 'skills for life' through gardening and horticulture.
- to strengthen their confidence and self-esteem.
- to provide them with the appropriate transferable skills and to support them to re-integrate into the wider community and to increase and develop their individual opportunities for future employment.